The National Theatre of the Deaf seeks a Director for its Playwright convening from June 22 to June 25.
National Theater of the Deaf Playwrights Convening Director
The National Theatre of the Deaf (NTD) is looking for a Deaf Playwrights Convening Director to work on planning and lead its weeklong program from June 22 to June 25 at the American School for the Deaf in West Hartford, CT.
The NTD Deaf Playwrights Convening is an intensive planning and creative process that will take place at the American School for the Deaf in West Hartford, Connecticut. This convening is focused primarily on asset identification and capacity building for a national new play production pipeline as well as how to best support one another in this effort both as individuals and as organizations. We aim to foster and cultivate a national environment where playwrights can generate and contribute new work.
The Playwright Convening goals are:
- Goal #1: Network & Share – Interact with your fellow artists and advocates. Learn who’s doing what, and forge connections that will last well into the future.
- Goal #2: Assess the Landscape – Identify and gain a better understanding of current capacity and assets for producing deaf plays across the U.S.
- Goal #3: Plan for the Future – Put heads together and come up with an action plan with clear goals and milestones to foster new play development.
- Goal #4: Report Out – Share findings on a select range of topics to share with interested individuals and organizations outside of the Convening.
This position requires someone with vision and imagination as well as in-depth knowledge of the Deaf theatre ecosystem and writing adaptations and new works for Deaf performing arts. The Deaf Playwrights Convening Director must have experience working with a range of races/ethnicities and cultures and people in underserved communities. NTD is an equal opportunity employer.
Position status: Independent contractor – short-term.
- Able to work independently on the planning phase in collaboration with assigned NTD Board members, and lead the Convening on the ground.
- Design activities to enhance knowledge and skills of the playwright profession as well as facilitate the continued development of a national deaf play production network.
- Create conditions to foster interaction of playwrights and other theatre-makers in building effective relationships and collaborations with their peers.
- Participate in and support short weekly video team meetings with the NTD leadership team.
- Partner with the NTD leadership team in support of larger organizational goals.
What we are looking for:
- Strong alignment with the NTD mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Expertise in event planning or play production, workshop facilitation, and creative development.
- Proven ability to influence and motivate fellow artists.
- Excellent American Sign Language (ASL) and written communication skills.
- A sophisticated understanding of how to facilitate the creative and planning processes.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple priorities.
Job Type: Independent Contractor.
Relevant experience: Three (3) years.
Work Location: Remote, for planning leading up to June 22. On-site, for Convening in West Hartford, CT from June 22 until June 25.
Inquiry/Submit Application Letter & Resume & Three References by March 20, 2020, for review and selection to email@example.com.